For Immediate Release
Contact: Jerrica Thurman, Chief Strategy & Communications Officer, email@example.com
(April 3, 2023, Washington, D.C.) The Amputee Coalition will broadcast a series of national television public service announcements (PSAs) to promote its new #InspireToElevate campaign starting April 2023. The year-round initiative raises awareness about limb loss and limb difference, which is becoming less uncommon every day. The series highlights three 30-second videos and two 15-second videos featuring prominent people living with limb loss and limb difference. “We are excited to elevate the phenomenal stories about how people can thrive while living with limb loss and limb difference in this power-packed PSA series,” said Jerrica Thurman, chief strategy and communications officer of the Amputee Coalition. “We are committed to increasing support for our community members and celebrating their positive contributions to society through their extraordinary, triumphant life experiences that offer inspiration to all.”
The key messages in the PSAs highlight ways for people living with limb loss or limb difference to #InspireToElevate:
- Elevate Your Story. Tell people about your experience through the #WeTHRIVE campaign.
- Elevate Your Voice. Learn to advocate on behalf of the community with legislators and others who can bring about change.
- Elevate Your Community. Get involved and inspire others to get involved to make sure no amputee is alone.
- Elevate Your Potential. Empower yourself to live your best life.
Limb loss affects people of all backgrounds, all income levels, and all ages. More than 2.7 million people live with limb loss or limb difference in the U.S. Hundreds of people lose a limb every day. By 2050, the number of amputees in the U.S. will nearly double. The Amputee Coalition launched the #InspireToElevate PSAs to increase public visibility of its mission-focused cause. The PSAs feature six community members of the Amputee Coalition.
- Femita Ayanbeku is a sprinter in international track and field, a two-time Paralympian, and a world championships bronze medalist. The Boston native underwent below-knee amputation of her right leg after she was thrown from the car during a crash when she was 11 years old.
- Zyra Gorecki stars as Izzy Harris on the NBC science-fiction drama “La Brea” and is one of the first people with limb loss or limb difference to be a regular on a network television show. She underwent below-knee amputation of her left leg after a logging accident when she was a teenager.
- Jessica Heims is a two-time Paralympian in track and field. She is also a graduate of the Amputee Coalition Youth Camp. After being born with amniotic band syndrome, she underwent below-knee amputation of her left leg when she was 1 year old.
- John Register is a Paralympic silver medalist in track and field and a veteran of the Persian Gulf War. He is executive chairman of the Amputee Coalition board of directors. John aspired to compete in the 1996 Olympics before an accident over a hurdle in training led to amputation of his left leg.
- Brandon Sonnier is a writer and television producer who created the series “L.A.’s Finest,” a spinoff of the “Bad Boys” movie franchise. He served as executive story editor on the Emmy Award-winning show “The Blacklist” and just last year wrote an episode of “S.W.A.T.” Brandon underwent below-knee amputation of his right leg after he was injured on the set of “L.A.’s Finest.”
- Gary Weiland returned to full duty as a firefighter less than a year after undergoing below-knee amputation of his left leg. Last year he appeared on “American Ninja Warrior,” and he is featured in the documentary “Becoming the Ultimate Ninja.” Gary is also a children’s book author and a motivational speaker.
“We are proud of the impact our community members make every day and hope the PSA series shares a glimpse of the tremendous value and abilities that people living with limb loss and limb difference have,” Thurman said.
The PSAs are scheduled to broadcast on Amazon, online streaming services, stations in major TV markets in the U.S., and social media in the coming months. Watch the PSA videos at www.InspireToElevate.org. Follow and join the #InspireToElevate movement. Learn more about the Amputee Coalition at www.amputee-coalition.org.
For media inquiries, contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Amputee Coalition: The Leading Voice on Limb Loss and Limb Difference
The Amputee Coalition is the only national nonprofit that serves all individuals who experience limb loss or limb difference. We are dedicated to ensuring that no one faces limb loss alone. Our mission is to support, educate, and advocate for people impacted by limb loss and limb difference. We work to provide vital resources to people with limb loss and limb difference, as well as their families and caregivers. With these resources, they can recover, readjust, and live the life they most want to live. Learn more at www.amputee-coalition.org.