The 2023 National Conference boasted a variety of informative sessions covering topics relevant to the limb loss and limb difference community. With Veterans Day in November, we wanted to highlight a session which explored all the benefits veterans with limb loss can take advantage of through Veterans Affairs. If you were unable to attend in person, learn more about the key takeaways from Resources for Veterans.
Speakers: Michael Carroll, PhD, CPO, Department of Veterans Affairs
Summary of Session: This session shared the unique nature of the multidisciplinary care team and full scope of services available through the VA and how veterans can access that care.
- The VA offers many services to veterans.
- The VA creates Patient Aligned Care Teams (PACT) – partnership, access, coordination, team-based. They are focused on proactive care and utilize integrated specialists
- Encourage vets to enroll
- Full continuum of care – Latest Amputation Care Team (ACT)
- Virtual options are available for those not close to locations.
- Veterans can get activity-specific devices through the VA.
- There is a Veteran Benefits Guide available
- Automobile adaptive equipment (AAE) – clinics available ex. Tampa, FL
- Annual Clothing Allowance – pay an allowance for new clothes due to damage from a service-connected condition. Once you apply you are in the program.
- Home Improvements and Structural Alterations (HISA) – medically – in/out of home; cabinets accessible, lavatory
- Service Dog Veterinary Health insurance for service dogs
Look for our digital content package coming soon and save the date for next year! The 2024 National Conference is coming to the Hyatt Regency Atlanta, August 7-10 in Atlanta, Georgia. We would love to see you there! Learn more about the VA and explore all benefits and eligibility on their website.